1. Careers
Dawn Rosenberg McKay

Donate Your Suits

By September 14, 2007

Sometimes the one thing holding someone back from pursuing the job he or she wants is the inability to get the proper attire to wear on a job interview. Suits are quite expensive and if one is unemployed that is not something he or she can afford to spend money on. Dress for Success is a national organization that distributes business suits and other appropriate attire to women who can't afford it. Career Gear does the same thing with men's business attire. Visit these two organizations' Web Sites if you have new or gently used business suits and other interview appropriate clothing to donate.
Photograph courtesy of stock.xchng
Comments
September 18, 2007 at 11:27 am
(1) Daun says:

I think this organization is fantastic!! However, I have one complaint…I had over 300 pounds of suits I wanted to donate, as I had taken a career change and I no longer needed the high-level professional suits for my new position. The organization does not offer pick up service, for any reason. They were closed over a long period of time (re-opening their operations last December in Los Angeles), so I had to donate the clothing to a local Assistance League. I wanted to help desperately, but did not have the means to take the clothing into LA, or wait for their re-opening.

September 10, 2008 at 9:55 pm
(2) Debbi says:

I have been trying to find something like this for women’s clothes in Los Angeles and Dress For Success does not have a location here. Hard to believe, but it is hard to find a lot of charitable organizations in Los Angeles. Someone let me know if there is a place to donate suits.

January 19, 2009 at 7:51 am
(3) Dr.Kymi says:

They have A pick up Service for Los Angeles and Ventura Countys
800-817-Path

May 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm
(4) Kirk R says:

This is the worst site ever. I tried looking up a location for anywhere to donate. No matter which link is clicked, no list of places – only leads back to the main page. What a stupid web site. Guess I’ll be dropping off all these nice suits and clothes to the Goodwill afterall.

May 23, 2012 at 8:18 pm
(5) careerplanning says:

Kirk,

Were you looking to donate clothing to Career Gear? When you go that site , simply mouse over to “Get Involved” on the menu at the top of the page. You will get a pull-down menu. “Donate Clothing” is one of your choices. Click on it and you will be brought to a page that explains exactly how to do that. That’s only for men’s professional clothing. If you have women’s clothing to donate, you will want to go the the Dress for Success site instead. Look for the pull-down menu that says “Select Affiliate.” From there you can pick out the DFS affiliate near you and find out how to donate clothing.

Best,
Dawn Rosenberg McKay
Career Planning Guide at About.com

July 2, 2012 at 12:43 pm
(6) Vivian Farinas says:

Dear sir/madam:
many people here in my neighbor including me who cannt affor to buy clothes. Is it possible to ask some from people who wants to give away their stuffs? I am a filipina, single mom.

Thanks and more power

September 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm
(7) Carolyn says:

OK I and my husband have all of these suits that I want to donate, I have spent 20 minutes on the site looking for a place to put in my zip code or a list of locations….Nothing but a place to pledge money. I called the number from one of the the people who commented and it was a doctors office. Heading out to the local Good Will

September 14, 2012 at 12:19 pm
(8) careerplanning says:

If you haven’t already brought your clothes to Good Will, another worthy organization, you can find out how to donate clothes to Career Gear by pointing to “Get Involved” on the menu at the top of the page and then clicking on “Donate Clothing” on the pull-down menu that will appear.

Dawn Rosenberg McKay
Career Planning Guide

March 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm
(9) Sue Boles says:

Why not in CA? I am located here and I know there are people here in my state that need these clothes and I don’t want to take them to Good Will or Salavation Army. What is an affiliate here in CA I can take these suits too? These are men suits, shirts and other clothing for business.

March 29, 2013 at 12:58 pm
(10) RB says:

Looking for a location in LA to donate. . . lots of suitsfor MEN need a new home