1. Careers
Dawn Rosenberg McKay

Is 40 Old?

By March 18, 2008

I never thought 40 was old, not even was I was 20. Now that I've reached that age and beyond, I really can't understand why an employer would discriminate against anyone over 40, or for that matter, over any age. One's ability to do a job has nothing to do with how old he or she is. In my opinion the only thing age brings to a job is experience. There are employers who think of age as more than a number. They see it as a reason someone may not be able to do a job. They therefore choose not to hire certain job candidates or they pass over current employees for promotions. Those employees are breaking the law — the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) to be specific. Read Preventing Age Discrimination at Work to learn more about the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and how it protects workers who are 40 years of age and over.
Comments
March 26, 2008 at 12:36 pm
(1) CJ says:

This is something no one ever talks about. Age discrimination takes place all of the time just the same as discrimination against weight and appearance. I am sure someone will comment against me but it’s an unspoken truth. If the open job at a company is in a cramped space or the proximity between workers is close or confined and budget doesn’t allow for remodeling; larger applicants don’t stand a chance. If someone is being hired for a reception position, rotted teeth or balding patches on women will be taken into consideration. Older applicants (50 or more)are prime candidates in our company because of experience and knowledge but training for some takes longer than the allotted timeframe and fast multitasking is difficult for some.

March 26, 2008 at 10:26 pm
(2) Lisa says:

When I was younger and in my 20′s I had alot of Career Opportunities and no problem at all in finding employment.
When I got older and over 40 years of age, it got harder to find work. On Administrative Interviews, when I am being interviewed, employers have told me “Your Overqualified to do this Job”
and we want someone younger. Or they say
What Year Did you Graduate from High School? These statements are against the law but some employers continue to discrimate against us just because of our age. We have bills to pay and have to work up until we retire. I have no problem at all in multi-tasking to accomplish administrative duties since I have done it for many years. Its very sad when an employer judges me by my age and not by my qualifications. I still look young and good for my age.
Its very sad that people are discriminated by their age, race, sex,
appearance and disability. Everyone should be able to have equal employment opportunities in the United States.
I think that these employers should be punished for discriminating against older people.

April 1, 2008 at 4:03 pm
(3) Kim says:

I believe there is a lot ofoutright discrimination -age, weight, race, etc. But I also believe there are a combination of things that get stacked against older employees. One is salary -experience demands higher pay, and employers might be focusing on that fact. Another is that age and experience sometimes bring rigidity and the inablity to compromise. Also most people probably have the experience of working with an older coworker who was known to be coasting until they could retire. I’m surprised though to hear it starts at 40.

September 2, 2008 at 12:08 pm
(4) MsTake says:

Now that we’re required to show two forms of ID when applying for jobs, employers can see our age right away, so that even if we look younger than our age we can’t lie about it. I’m trying to start my own business now because, essentially, I’m unemployable because I’m mature, have experience, lots of skills and education. Sad that what I think are good qualities are being used against me. Employers today are looking for slave labor. They prefer employees who are younger, less experienced, unskilled, even incompetent–as long as they’re willing to work for tiny wages and to accept poor working conditions without question, the employer is happy. Of course, the quality of products and services has diminished due to this trend but corporate America prefers to make everything “to break” anyway. (That just forces the consumer to have to buy more.) Now we employees are being made to break too. They want to get as much work as they can out of us till we get burnt out and quit. That way, they don’t need to give us pay raises or retirement. And now that the economy is so bad, there will always be a long line of new potential employees just waiting for another opening. Increasing discrimination against any group–based on age, race, gender or whatever is a sign of a declining democracy.

September 2, 2008 at 12:20 pm
(5) MsTake says:

Now that employers are allowed to conduct background checks and we’re required to show two forms of ID when applying for jobs, employers can see our age right away, so that even if we look younger than our age we can’t lie about it. I’m trying to start my own business now because, essentially, I’m unemployable because I’m mature, have experience, lots of skills and education. Sad that what I think are good qualities are being used against me.

Further, it’s impossible to prove age discrimination as many employers won’t tell you why they haven’t hired you and some employers will try to get rid of you once they do hire you if they don’t like your age, race, ethnicity, religion, politics, gender, etc., and someone else in the firm “mistakenly” hired you anyway. They can always find an excuse to get rid of you.

April 4, 2011 at 5:12 pm
(6) KF says:

… Yes sir-ee I have been down the road… over qualified, a bit too old, we like younger candidates so that we can mold them to our company standards… blah blah, blah…

it’s the secret truth of the corporate world… They always scream for the best talent and complain that there is none around to hire, they want experience yet don’t want to pay for that experience.

I have a strong belief that when the retirement boom comes along, the corporate structure will have to change to accommodate, or go out of business… If your a liberated employer now, maybe the words “talent retention” will mean something to you, but keep in mind – 40% of the work force will be retirement age in 5-10yrs… I don’t know about you all but I think the ball is in the 40yr old’s court… unless the corporation can create dinosaur management clones, it might be time to open your eyes past the quarterly profit reports…

August 28, 2013 at 5:14 am
(7) Arthur Bhutic says:

Too me, 40 wasn’t old, not even when I was 9. I saw 40, being young compared too 50.