1. Careers
Did you ever ask yourself, "what do I have to do to get fired from this job?" After all, you don't want to quit. If you got fired, at least you would qualify for unemployment insurance. And at least you wouldn't feel like such a .... such a ... quitter. While this thought may have crossed some people's minds, usually employees want to know what they can do to avoid getting fired. Whether you want to dodge the pink slip, or if you really want to goad your boss into firing you, this article tells you what to do. In case you didn't already know this, getting fired is not such a good thing. It's much better to quit your job if you don't like it.
Comments
March 14, 2007 at 11:48 am
(1) Liz says:

You do not want to ever get fired. Getting fired can ruin future career options.
When you get fired, you cannot collect unemployment benifits for 6 weeks, if even then. Your company will not even give you a reference, and you can be told by the general manager that they will see to it that you never work that the field you are in again.
If you do not like your job, or feel as though your boss is suddenly being overly picky, and writing you up for every little thing, quit!
By quiting you will get the benefits, such as your 401(k), letters of references, and a better job someplace else.
Take it from someone who just does not learn about quiting before being fired.

March 15, 2007 at 9:21 am
(2) kaela says:

omg!!! what a good idea!! i article to tell people how to get fired!! if you do not like your boss or even people that work with you you could just do what the article says to help you get fired!!!

March 15, 2007 at 9:31 pm
(3) Neeraj Bhatia says:

Getting fired is not easy. Becoz when company teach your job and then they fire you its not easy for them. But still according me if you want that you should be fired do some foolish things in office like do internet surfing or do not concentrate on your work or keep your phone busy. But after getting fired you will feel embarss and you will not get job easily. So its better getting fired you should always quit thats best idea. In India this happens everyday.

March 26, 2008 at 11:27 am
(4) CJ says:

Kaela – believe it or not there are some “impossible employee’s” out there who have burned so many bridges at their place of employment that they become stuck in a dead end position. They are usually angry and blame everyone around them for their promotional failures and lack of transfer opportunites. These people never, ever consider that they have done anything to cause their misery and therefore will look to get fired when they have no way out. In their eyes they are the best of employees, in everyone elses eyes they become “those you steer away from.” Unfortunately.

March 27, 2008 at 10:47 am
(5) Kay Stout says:

In today’s instantly connected world, via the internet, if you decide to deliberately sabotage your current position so you will get fired – -it will follow you like a 50lb bag of rocks on your shoulder for a very long time. Also, attitude relates to altitude. As CJ said,, if people steer away from you and you are always on the job hunt because you are being “mistreated, unappreciated” where you are – - look in the mirror. Quitting will always be better than getting fired!!!

November 20, 2008 at 12:12 pm
(6) DOMINIQUE says:

omg dude
if u wanna get fired thaz dumb dude.
just say u quit

September 1, 2009 at 3:02 pm
(7) Jeana says:

Let’s say, you have been very ill, missing a lot of work for the past few years. The illness is chronic (no cure, will never go away.) Your employer keeps you because the big bosses pity you, but your immediate supervisor hates the fact that she needs to put up with your absences and is rude to you. You are not eligible for disability (social security) nor do you want to go that way, it seems like giving up. If you are fired, you will be eligible for unemployment while you figure out what to do. If you quit, you will not be eligible for unemployment, but at least you won’t have to put up with a supervisor who hates you. FYI, before becoming ill, you never had anything but stellar reviews from supervisors.

September 2, 2009 at 11:59 am
(8) Tammy says:

I want to know how to get fired from my job? I have been here 8.5yrs now but if I quit I dont get my severance pay est.$5000.00 and I,m not leaving with out it. but it is just us two that work here so I run the office he won’t let me go because then he would have to be here more often. I really really want to leave.I have other job oppertunities but I’m not leaving without my severance package.So how do I get fired or leave and still get it? HELP!

November 10, 2009 at 12:53 pm
(9) Frank says:

Tammy, your boss lied to you about the $5000.00 severance pay. He knows it is enough to make you not quit, but at the same time he does not have to pay you now. And whatever the reason you do leave, he will have some sneaky loophole to make sure you NEVER get it anyway. Summary : that $5,000 is an IMAGINARY CARROT designed by a devious boss to keep you where you are.

January 25, 2010 at 10:45 am
(10) eddie says:

My company keeps moving me further and further away. My commute now costs me over a hundred bucks a week. Not even considering oil changes, tires, and such.

January 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm
(11) Bill says:

I am 60 years old. I have a very physical job. I am going to retire at 62 years old. I have never been on or received unemployment benefits before. I am having such a hard time keeping up with my job requirements. I would like to find a way to get fired and apply for unemployment. Any ideas?

January 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm
(12) Juliane Wolff says:

My husband has been employed by the same company for 6 looooooong years.His supervisor is an ass to him,even thou my husband comes to work everyday and on time.Every little bit that goes wrong,he treats my husband with disrespect and talks down to him like he is a child.My husband is so tired of his job that he thought about a way to get fired and go back to school.any ideas on how to treat the situation?
He already went to the union rep. and spoke about it,but nothing was done.They are on the supervisor side.

May 19, 2011 at 11:03 pm
(13) RM says:

Most states allow you to file the day after you are let go and collect the next week. Not 6 weeks like was told before. If you are let go for any other reasons other than criminal or endanger other workers, you should be set. If I wanted to get fired and collect, I would : Not be able to perform new tasks given me, do my normal tasks slower and below par, have a poor attitude ( without being threatening ), and do not take on new duties or go that extra mile to be a “better” employee. If you have a bad boss, just use the HR dept and report all the harassment. It may catch up your bad boss, but in many states you can quit and collect unem. if you are harassed or threatened, when the mgt. does not correct the problem.