Attending a business conference can feel overwhelming. It is important that you connect with fellow attendees, look your best and come away having learned something important. Learn how to attend a business conference and get the most out of it.
Time Required: na
- You'll want to look and feel your best, so plan your wardrobe carefully. Bring clothing you feel confident and comfortable in. Adhere to any established dress protocol.
- Bring comfortable shoes. You may be on your feet for many hours.
- Contact colleagues who will be attending to set up times to get together.
- Bring plenty of business cards.
- Use the conference as a networking opportunity. While it may be easier to talk to only those people you know, make sure to make new contacts, too.
- Approach small groups of people who don't seem to be in intimate conversations. Introduce yourself.
- Listen to your colleagues. You'll learn new ways to solve problems and do your job.
- Get people's business cards and send them a note after the conference.
- If you feel overwhelmed by the number of people, remember that others may feel the same way.
- Avoid alcohol. While one glass of wine or a beer may help you feel more relaxed, more than that may make you a little too uninhibited.
- Remember that people love to talk about themselves. When you meet new people ask them about their interests, families, jobs, etc.