Your Next Few Weeks, Months...The length of time it takes you to adjust to a new job varies from person to person, and job to job. While you may fit in immediately at some jobs, it may take a little longer in others. And some people seem to fit in immediately wherever they go. All you can do is try your best, and do your job the best way you know how. The following tips may help:
- Ask questions. You're new and it's better to do something right the first time around than have to do it over.
- Smile a lot and be friendly. Get to know your co-workers and what their interests are.
- Use your lunch hours to get together with your current co-workers, although it may be tempting to meet up with your former ones.
- Figure out who has the authority to give you work to do and who is just trying to have you do theirs. I worked with a woman who would try to push off her work on any unsuspecting person. It took a while to realize that she didn't have the authority to hand out assignments.
- Pay attention to the grapevine, but don't contribute to it. You don't want to gain a reputation as a gossip monger.
- Don't complain about your boss, your office mate, any co-workers, or your previous job.
- Continue to arrive early and don't rush out the door at the end of the day.
- Volunteer for projects that will help you get noticed, but don't neglect any assigned work.
- Keep a positive attitude and an open mind. Your life has changed and it will take getting used to.