Do you want to know how to make your coworkers hate you? Follow this advice. These are surefire ways to ensure your coworkers will look forward to the day you are gone. Avoid these behaviors if you want to help create harmony in your workplace.
Noel Hendrickson/ Photodisc/Getty Images
Your co-workers don't want to listen to your cell phone conversations. They are not as entertaining to anyone as they are to you. More importantly, they don't want to hear you talk on your phone while you are in the bathroom. It makes them uncomfortable.
2. Take Credit for Your Co-Workers' Contributions to a ProjectWhen your boss congratulates you on a job well done, don't mention that you had a lot of help. Why does she need to know anyway? Team work, shmeam work. Better to look like you did it all on your own. And, when you need some help on the next project, where do you think your co-workers will be? Not on your team.
If you have a cold or a stomach virus, spread it around. Your co-workers will thank you. On second thought, no they won't. Well, hopefully they'll have the decency to call in sick and stop spreading the illness further.
Your co-workers are a curious bunch so it is in their best interests if you tell them everything
about your personal life — even if, no make that especially if, it makes them uncomfortable. Your motto should be "too much information is never enough."
Ah, religion and politics ... two topics about which everyone is in total agreement. Well, not exactly. Your co-workers may be very sensitive about these topics so if you want to offend them in a hurry, make sure they know why your beliefs are the only right ones.
6. Tell Your Co-Workers Dirty Jokes
Everyone appreciates a good joke, right? That may be true, but while most people appreciate a good joke, many are put off by dirty jokes. It's not your problem so keep telling those jokes, but don't be surprised if you find yourself accused of sexual harassment
7. Spam Your Co-WorkersForward tons of email to all your co-workers. The content doesn't matter. Send it all — chain letters, jokes, and petitions. They'll be thinking of you as they keep hitting that delete button.
8. Chew Your Gum LoudlyNothing sounds as yummy as the noise made by someone cracking their chewing gum and smacking their lips. It may drive your co-workers crazy, but isn't that what you're trying to do?
9. Don't Carry Your Own WeightIf you don't do your fair share of the work required by your department, your co-workers will have to pick up the slack. They'll be so exhausted from doing all the work, they won't be able to thank you.
10. Talk Down to Your Co-WorkersYou may think talking down to your co-workers will build you up, but a condescending attitude will not make you appear stronger. It will, however, make your co-workers resent you.