Start Your Career
By Dawn Rosenberg McKay, About.com Guide
How to Choose a Career
To get started on your career you will first need to choose an occupation. Put a lot of thought into your choice and you will be rewarded with a career that is both fulfilling and successful. These resources take you through the process of finding the right career for you.
- Career Development 101
- Step-by-Step Guide to Choosing a Career
- Why You Need to Do a Self Assessment
- Clarifying Your Values Can Lead to Job Satisfaction
- Interests and Career Choice
- How to Find a Career That Fits Your Personality
- What is the MBTI and How Can You Use It in a Self Assessment?
- Working With a Career Counselor or Other Career Development Professional
- 10 Myths About Choosing a Career
- What Do College Career Services Offices Do?
It is important to go out and research any career field you are thinking about pursuing, regardless of how you heard about it. Use these resources to help you gather information that will help you decide which career is most suitable for you.
- How to Learn About Careers
- Careers A to Z: Profiles, Quizzes, Stories and Related Occupations
- Careers by Field and Industry
- Quizzes: Which Career is Right for You?
- Quiz: Should I Choose This Occupation?
Make a Plan
Once you've chosen an occupation, you have to formulate a plan that will help you reach your goal of working in that field. Before you do anything, write a formal career action plan that includes both long-term and short-term goals.
Get the Skills You Need
Now it's time to move forward with your career action plan. You will need to obtain the skills and training required to work in your occupation of choice. Here are resources to help you achieve your goals.