Before You Go to a Business Meeting
- Meet Other Attendees in Advance: Get to know as many people as possible before you attend the conference.
- Look Your Best: When you look good, your confidence goes up. Make sure your hair and nails are well groomed.
- Dress Appropriately: Find out what type of attire is needed.
- Bring Clothes that Travel Well or bring an iron. You don't want your clothes to look rumpled.
- Pack Comfortable Shoes: You may be on your feet for long periods of time.
At the Business Meeting
- Introduce Yourself to Others: Making the first move may make you feel less vulnerable.
- Smile: Smiling (only when appropriate, of course) helps you look approachable.
- Psych Yourself Up: Remember the qualities others like about you.
- Get People to Talk About Themselves: Everyone likes to do this and it will take the focus off you.
- Beware of Alcohol: You don't want to become too uninhibited.
When the Business Meeting is Over
- Take Home Something Valuable: This could be an idea you may be able to implement or a new person to add to your network.
- Keep in Touch: Maintaining contact with those you met at the conference will make the next conference easier.