Job Description - Archaeologist:
**See also Anthropologist: Career Profile
Employment Facts - Archaeologist:
Educational Requirements - Archaeologist:
Other Requirements - Archaeologist:
Advancement Opportunities - Archaeologist:
Job Outlook - Archaeologist:
Earnings - Archaeologist:
Use the Salary Wizard at Salary.com to find out how much an Archaeologist currently earns in your city.
A Day in an Archaeologist's Life:
On a typical day an archaeologist's tasks might include:
- writing and publishing reports and presenting them to professional peers
- comparing archaeological findings among different sites
- answering research questions by surveying or assessing sites of past societies and cultures
- collecting artifacts from sites
- studying excavated objects and structures in order to identify, date, and authenticate them and ultimately interpret their significance
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Social Scientists, Other, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos315.htm (visited March 25, 2010).
Employment and Training Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, O*NET Online, Archeologist, on the Internet at http://online.onetcenter.org/link/details/19-3091.02 (visited July 1, 2010).
*Note: The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics combines wage and employment data for Anthropologist and Archaeologist.