Job Description - Chemist:
Employment Facts - Chemists:
Educational Requirements for Chemists:
Other Requirements - Chemists:
- The ability to concentrate on detail;
- The ability to work independently
Job Outlook - Chemists:
Earnings - Chemists:
Chemists earned a median annual salary of $68,220 in 2009.
Use the Salary Wizard at Salary.com to find out how much chemists currently earn in your city.
What Do Chemists Working in Different Specialties Do?:
- Analytical chemists examine and identify the elements and compounds that make up a substance in order to determine the structure, composition, and nature of that substance.
- Organic chemists study the chemistry of the carbon compounds that make up all living things.
- Inorganic chemists study compounds consisting mainly of elements other than carbon.
- Medical chemists study the structural properties of compounds intended for applications to human medicine.
- Materials chemists study and develop new materials to improve existing products or make new ones.
Sources: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Chemists and Materials Scientists, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos049.htm (visited May 4, 2010).
Employment and Training Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, O*NET Online, Chemists, on the Internet at http://online.onetcenter.org/link/details/19-2031.00 (visited November 9, 2010).