Use the Salary Wizard at Salary.com to find out how much an environmental scientist currently earns in your city.
A Day in an Environmental Scientist's Life:
On a typical day an environmental scientist's tasks might include:
- Collecting environmental data, for example pollution emission measurements or water samples.
- Analyzing data to determine its quality and scientific significance, and looking for correlations between human activities and environmental effects.
- Reporting scientific and technical information to the public by writing about it or making presentations at workshops, conferences, training sessions or public hearings.
- Giving scientific and technical guidance and support to government agencies, industries and the public.
- Processing and reviewing environmental permits, licenses and related materials.
- Reviewing environmental policies, regulations and guidelines to make sure they meet appropriate requirements.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Environmental Scientist, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/environmental-scientists-and-specialists.htm (visited March 25, 2010).
Employment and Training Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, O*NET Online, Environmental Scientist, on the Internet at http://online.onetcenter.org/link/details/19-2041.00 (visited November 19, 2010).