Job Description - Laboratory Technologist:
Employment Facts - Laboratory Technologist:
Educational Requirements - Laboratory Technologist:
Other Requirements - Laboratory Technologist:
Advancement Opportunities - Laboratory Technologist:
Job Outlook - Laboratory Technologist:
Earnings - Laboratory Technologist:
Use the Salary Wizard at Salary.com to find out how much a Laboratory Technologist currently earns in your city.
A Day in a Laboratory Technologist's Life:
On a typical day a laboratory technologist's tasks might include:
- using microscopes to examine and analyze body fluids and cells, looking for bacteria, parasites and other microorganisms
- analyzing the chemical content of fluids
- testing for drug levels in the blood in order to show how a patient is responding to treatment
- preparing specimens for examination, counting cells and looking for abnormal cells in blood and body fluids
- analyzing the results of laboratory tests and relaying them to physicians
- typing and cross matching blood samples for transfusions
- supervising laboratory technicians
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos096.htm (visited February 08, 2010).
Employment and Training Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, O*NET Online, Laboratory Technologist, on the Internet at http://online.onetcenter.org/link/details/29-2011.00 (visited November 29, 2010).