Job Description - Surgical Technologist:
Employment Facts - Surgical Technologist:
Educational Requirements - Surgical Technologist:
Other Requirements - Surgical Technologist:
Advancement Opportunities - Surgical Technologist:
Job Outlook - Surgical Technologist:
Earnings - Surgical Technologist:
Use the Salary Wizard at Salary.com to find out how much a surgical technologist currently earns in your city.
A Day in a Surgical Technologist's Life:
On a typical day a surgical technologist's tasks might include:
- setting up surgical instruments and equipment, sterile drapes and sterile solutions in the operating room
- assembling both sterile and nonsterile equipment
- checking and adjusting surgical equipment to make sure it is working properly
- preparing patients for surgery by washing, shaving and disinfecting incision sites
- transporting patients to the operating room
- positioning patients on the operating table and covering them with sterile surgical drapes
- observing patients' vital signs and checking charts
- handing instruments to surgeons and surgical assistants
- holding retractors and cutting sutures
- transfering patients to the recovery room
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Surgical Technologist, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos106.htm (visited January 20, 2010).
Employment and Training Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, O*NET Online, Surgical Technologist, on the Internet at http://online.onetcenter.org/link/details/29-2055.00 (visited December 7, 2010).