Job Description - Teacher:
Employment Facts - Teachers:
Educational Requirements - Teachers:
Other Requirements - Teachers:
Career Advancement Opportunities - Teachers:
Job Outlook - Teachers:
Earnings - Teachers:
Elemantary School Teachers: $50,510
Middle School Teachers: $50,770
Secondary School Teachers: $52,200
Use the Salary Wizard at Salary.com to find out how much teachers currently earn in your city.
What Do Teachers Do?:
- use props or manipulatives to help children understand abstract concepts, solve problems, and develop critical thought processes;
- introduce children to mathematics, language, science, and social studies;
- encourage collaboration in solving problems by having students work in groups to discuss and solve problems together;
Elementary School Teachers:
- instruct one class of children in several subjects or work as a team with another teacher;
- sometimes teach one special subject, such as music or art;
Middle school teachers and secondary school teachers
- help students delve more deeply into subjects introduced in elementary school and expose them to more information about the world;
- specialize in a specific subject;
- may teach subjects that are career oriented;
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Teachers: Kindergarten, Elementary, Middle, and Secondary, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos069.htm (visited July 7, 2008).
Employment and Training Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, O*NET Online, Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education, on the Internet at http://online.onetcenter.org/link/details/25-2021.00, Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education, on the Internet at http://online.onetcenter.org/link/details/25-2022.00, Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education, on the Internet at http://online.onetcenter.org/link/details/25-2031.00 (visited December 7, 2010).