You should set both long-term and short-term goals:
- Long-term goals: you should be able to achieve these in about three to five years.
- Short term goals: you should be able to reach these in one to three years.
In order for your goals to be achievable, they must meet certain criteria. They must be:
- Conceivable: you must be able to put your goals into words;
- Achievable: you must have the attributes, energy and time to accomplish them;
- Believable: you must believe you can reach them;
- Achievable Within a Certain Time Frame: you must be able to state how long it will take you to reach each goal;
- Clearly Defined: you must know exactly what it is you want to achieve;
- Flexible: you must be willing to make modifications as necessary;
Once you have defined both your long-term and short-term goals, you can go on to develop a career action plan. It will list all your goals and the steps you will take to reach each one. If your goals meet the criteria listed above, you are more likely to be successful in achieving them.